Operations Manager 2 - Transportation
Company: Penske Logistics
Posted on: May 22, 2023
Operations Manager 2 - Transportation (Supply Chain/Logistics)-
(Job Number: 2306331)
Are you an energetic and team-oriented leader focused on commitment
to customers, dedication to excellence and innovation?
Do you have a proven record of leadership excellence and a history
of leading teams to consistently exceed established goals in
dynamic operational environments?
Do you have a proven ability to recruit, train, develop,
communicate with and retain team members?
Do you have a demonstrated ability to develop forward looking plans
and turn those plans into successful execution?
Do you have a proven ability to effectively manage financial
Penske Logistics is seeking a proven leader with relevant
experience and skills to join our team of transportation and
logistics professionals. We are seeking a candidate to supervise
drivers at one of our locations.
The Operations Manager provides leadership to leading staff to
ensure customer requirements are achieved while meeting our Penske
goals and objectives
Lead teams in a dynamic operational environment, to consistently
exceed established goals, demonstrate a commitment to customers and
a dedication to excellence and innovation. Develop forward looking
plans and turn those plans into successful execution. Effectively
manage resources to achieve operational excellence and meet or
exceed the site financial operating plan. Implement and maintain an
incident free safety culture at the operation.
***High-level responsibilities*** Previous Manager/Leadership
experience managing a large team. Previous proven experience
training and developing associates. Previous metrics experience
(Example- Safety, On-time Delivery, Smart Drive and HOS
monitoring). JIT inventory management environment (strong sense of
urgency/responsiveness/attention to detail) Work Schedule: Mon Fri-
7am -5 pm (Flexibility around working Saturdays). Previous
automotive experience preferred. This is a Union location, previous
Union experience preferred
- Establish and sustain that all supervisors and associates are
trained and competent and understand how their work relates to the
customers' business objectives
- Establish and sustain that we recruit, hire, train, develop and
retain quality associates.
- Establish and sustain effective, two-way communication that
informs and motivates as well as recognizes excellence among team
- Establish and sustain strong and effective relationships with
associates, the customer, and supporting departments
- Meet or exceed all customer key performance metrics and
- Interact daily with local customer to ensure existing and
emerging customer needs are understood
- Lead team to identify operational improvements in areas such as
route optimization, carrier selection, backhauls, and trailer
- Collaborate with other Penske sites to share best practices,
leverage resources/assets, etc.
- Develop and execute annual financial and operating
- Lead the operation with integrity to meet or exceed the
Business Plan targets
- Identify issues with the operating metrics and P&L and make
required adjustments in a timely manner
- Ensure customer billings and associate payroll are prepared
timely and accurately, the payables and intercompany charges are
valid and correct, and all other activities are accurately
reflected in the P&L.
- Lead a culture of safety through personal example
- Develop, execute, and assess continuous improvement plan to
reduce accident and injury frequency
- Ensure each associate understands their individual role and
responsibilities, as well as the group's role and responsibilities
required to achieve and maintain a safe work place
- Proactively identify and correct unsafe conditions, work
processes, and behaviors
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies,
company policies and procedures
- Coach through safety observations
Growth / Customer Experience
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and challenge
the status quo
- Execute a process to track and record value delivered to the
- Identify and seize profitable business opportunities for the
customer and Penske
- Utilize available metrics to monitor and maximize customer
efficiencies and achieve cost savings
- Lead effort to improve fleet/equipment utilization, maintenance
availability and fuel efficiency
- Contribute to equipment specification at time of start-up and
- Build a strong working relationship with local PTL district and
other equipment vendors
- Other projects and tasks as assigned by supervisor
- 4 - 6 years related functional experience.
- 3+ years managerial or supervisory experience with DOT
regulated positions required
- High School degree or equivalent required
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or Supply Chain Management
- Proficiency with computers including Microsoft Outlook, Word,
Excel, Access, PowerPoint required
- Must have ability to connect and build rapport and
relationships with associates and external customers at all
- Must have ability to work efficiently with time management and
organizational skills with follow-up and follow through
- Ability to manage through a problem and think and make
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute annual financial
- Ability to drive process improvement and lead change
- Must demonstrate ownership & responsibility for running the
operation with a sense of urgency
- Strong written/oral communication including the ability to
present in front of others, and demonstrate active listening skills
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function
of the job
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule,
work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment
application, submit to a background investigation (to include past
employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening
- The physical and mental demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an associate to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally
and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information;
and remember and understand certain instructions or
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be
required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently
required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with
hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift
and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and
the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Logistics
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck
Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe
and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and
logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske
Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution
in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit
www.PenskeLogistics.com to learn more.
Keywords: Penske Logistics, Overland Park , Operations Manager 2 - Transportation, Executive , Grandview, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...